I have always loved Chinese Almond Cookies with vanilla soft serve ice cream to finish off a buffet… But I have never thought to make them!
Seeing as it was Chinese Almond Cookie Day I figured I better give them a try. I found the recipe on Food.com. It makes 60 cookies so I cut the recipe in half… we (I) probably don’t need to eat THAT many cookies…
Chinese Almond Cookies
Makes 60 cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 60 blanched almonds**
- Cut butter into sifted dry ingredients. Add egg and extract and blend well. Shape into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten cookies and press one almond into the center of each.
- Bake 12 to 15 mins at 350°F Turn out on wire screen to cool.
- Place almonds in a bowl.
- Pour boiling water to barely cover almonds.
- Let the almonds sit for 1 minute and no longer.
- Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
- Pat dry and slip the skins off.
You don’t want to let the almonds sit in the water too long or they will loose their crispness… BUT… I put my almonds back in hot water for another 30 seconds because they weren’t quite ready.
If done correctly the skin really will slip off – instead of having to pry at them with your fingernails.