I love planning meals based on the ingredients I have in my fridge and cupboards… and by what needs to be used up before going bad.
The feeling of “not wasting” is wonderful!
Since we don’t have a microwave I can’t thaw anything out very fast. Being caught up with Spring-cleaning and two little munchkins running (and crawling) around – I forgot to set out meat for dinner.
Seeing as I had tofu and spinach in the fridge – needing to be used – I knew I had to find a recipe with these ingredients.
Then in my Pinterest search I came across this yummy recipe for Sesame Garlic Stir-Fry Noodles – containing both tofu and spinach! Woot! Job made easy.
I already had some rice cooking so I decided to change it up a bit… not sure how it would turn out.
I made the sauce and fried up my tofu as directed…
Added in the rice, sauce and spinach and BAM… look what we have here… pure, spicy yum!
Vegan Sesame Garlic Fried Rice with Tofu & Spinach
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp. vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar (I substituted white vinegar)
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp. grated ginger
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 14 oz. tofu, drained and pressed then cut into cubes.
- 2 tsp. oil
- 2-4 cups spinach leaves
- sesame seeds, for topping
- Cook rice. I have a rice cooker so I set that to cook while prepping everything else.
- Whisk together vegetable broth, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil. Place in a small pot and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, adding the ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook on low until ready to be added to the rice.
- Bring a large non-stick pot and heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced tofu and stir fry until golden brown on all sides.
- Add 2 tbsp. of sauce and quickly cover the tofu, taking care not to break the cubes.
- Remove the tofu from the pan.
- Add the cooked rice along with the spinach and sauce.
- Stir fry for a few minutes until hot. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a tbsp. or two of water.
- Toss the noodle mixture with the tofu and serve with sesame seeds.