Since we were mainly home-bound this weekend, because Jeffrey was sick, I decided to make a yummy Sunday breakfast…
Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast…
I came across the recipe for Angel Food Cake French Toast with Cream Cheese and Strawberry Syrup.
Normally I use fresh strawberries so I thought I would try my hand at syrup. This is regular bread I used but I would love to try it with the Angel Food Cake for a future special occasion!
Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast
From Carl’s Bad Cravings
- 8 slices bread
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- Fresh Strawberry Syrup (recipe below)
Additional Toppings (optional)
- Cream Cheese, softened
- Powdered sugar
- Begin simmering Strawberry Syrup.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, combine eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Dip bread slices into the egg mixture, resting for a few seconds on each side. Add the coated slices to the heated skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Melt 1 more tablespoon butter in skillet and repeat with remaining slices.
- Spread the cream cheese on the slices, and top with strawberry syrup and powdered sugar.
Adapted from Carl’s Bad Cravings
- 3 cups strawberries, diced
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a gentle simmer until the strawberries are soft and the syrup is thickened and reduced by 1/3 to 1/2 in volume, approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Syrup will thicken upon standing so simply whisk in more water to reached desired consistency if needed.
Look at these yummy strawberries…
That turned into this…
2 thoughts on “Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast”
Great start for the day!
Yum! This looks great!