Copycat Hostess Cupcakes
Crazy Wacky Cake from Sweet Little Bluebird
- 1 1/2 Cups flour (all-purpose)
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 Cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 5 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Cup water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix everything together in bowl until smooth. Put paper liners in muffin tins and fill 3/4 full. Cook for approx. 18 minutes depending on oven. Let cool.
Cream Filling from The Kitchen Prep Blog
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 7.5 ounce container of marshmallow crème
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat all ingredients together until well mixed. Transfer to a piping bag with a round tip, or a zip top plastic bag with one corner snipped.
- Before making frosting fill the cupcakes with cream. Cut out a 1″ deep hole in the top of each cupcake and fill with cream. Replace removed cupcake piece. Set aside and prepare frosting.
Chocolate Frosting adapted from The Yummy Life
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (may substitute coconut, canola or vegetable oil, if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
STOVE TOP METHOD. Heat ingredients (everything except the powdered sugar) over the lowest heat in a pot on top of the stove. Stir constantly until everything melts together and the consistency is smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth.
Using a spoon cover top of the cupcakes with chocolate frosting. Once cool decorate with trademark Hostess Cupcake design.